After doing more research into the base colour used by WG for their German desert sand base I came to the conclusion that the Vallejo Desert Tan 73.613 was the best colour match. My problem had been that I was looking at print-outs rather than the actual tanks on screen. The print-outs had darkened the colour.
I decided to add some base modulation to the desert tan so I rimmed in black the major horizontal and vertical lines in black and then overspread them with the sand leaving a very subtle darkening of those areas. It may be hard to tell this distinction from the picture. Below you will see the changes made to the E-100. Also visible is the kit's original Henschel turret which will be used as a test-bed for some of the weathering techniques that will soon be used on the E-100. Also shown are some key ingredients used in construction including copious amounts of wine.
Before any painting commenced all the tracks, road wheels, etc have been masked off and will remain masked until the bulk of the vehicle has been painted.
The first step is to prime the vehicle. For this we used Vallejo 73.613 Desert Tan Surface Primer. While the colour is a light tan it is considerably lighter than the light-medium yellow of the final finish. However by using this colour the application of the final colours will proceed much more quickly. About three coats of primer have been applied using a Badger 150 airbrush single action airbrush.
My absence was longer than expected. Sorry about that. This week most of the small details for the hull were attached as well as the distinctive side skirts. The barrel was fitted to the turret. It really does look like an E-100 now. The exhausts have been assembled but not attached. The tools and cable D rings will be placed on the vehicle after its painted.
Unlike the rest of the kit, the side skirts were surprising difficult to attach. A certain amount of macgyvering to the mounting brackets was required along with some judicious sanding of the seams. Rather disappointing. Nevertheless the results are satisfying as shown below.
I will be applying the desert scheme shown in the header.